Monday, May 30, 2011

Sunday period dramas

I am a complete sucker for a good period drama. I love them, Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Bleak House, Tess of the D'Urbavilles, Gosford House, Sense and Sensibility and the list goes on. 

I have to say that on a quiet Sunday afternoon sitting down to Sense and Sensibility is just a fantastic way to spend a couple of hours in my opinion. Great story, wonderful actors, beautiful Devonshire countryside and oh swoon swoon Mr Willoughby the cad, and then the gorgeous, dependable Colonel Brandon. I watched the 1995 version with a very young Kate Winslett, Emma Thompson, Hugh Grant and Alan Rickman long before he became Professor Snape. 


It has been such a long time since I had seen the film and even longer since I had read the book. I just loved it. The girls had been pestering me quite a bit and my patience was short (I was tired too) so once I had them settled and sorted this was just a great way for me to recharge. I have always felt I could relate to this story a bit, the gorgeous boyfriends who don't do the right thing by you and then there is the gorgeous dependable guy ready to take care of you and love you and make you so happy. The afternoon / evening was finished off wonderfully with a bowl of corn chowder. Corn Chowder always evokes memories of cold Saturday evenings in England, mum would have made it when we got home from work from our Saturday jobs, and there would also be homemade bread rolls to go with it, smothered in butter. Absolutely delicious.

Another new period drama called Downton Abbey started last night.


If you are in Australia I am sure you have seen all the advertising for it. I did enjoy it but not as much as Sense and Sensibility. I will tune in again next week to see how the story progresses.

Sewing did happen this weekend. Friday night craft happened at my house and it was so fun, there is always one wonderful friend missing who moved to Melbourne but we still had lots of laughs and got a little sewing done. Pyjamas were just about finished and THEN I made a mistake and as I was unpicking I picked a hole in the top aaaahhhhh. I was so cross with myself. So another top has been gotten and I have to redo what I did on Friday night. I did however also cut out a popover dress and decided to use some very precious Prints Charming material  called Rainbow Gardens, (some of the colour range can be seen below) that I have had for the yoke and ties.  It is going to look great. 



Only 1 more week until Todd comes home. I have really missed him this trip, Saturday night was rather lonely. Nearly 3 weeks, a longer than normal trip and not one that I want to replicate anytime soon. Well he is away for 2 weeks in July but we have a long weekend away together before then and we are all counting down. The mountains in Winter here we come, with open fires, hot chocolate, all rugged up with scarves and hats and gloves. Walks on brisk bright days, bring it on.

It is pouring with rain in Sydney today, a cold, rainy, cloudy day. Getting out of bed was rather tough this morning. I hope Mondayitis is not hitting you too badly this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment