Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Home from Camp

I am home, rested and clean and I have to say it was fun. The cabins that we were staying in were indeed tin sheds with concrete slab floors and were packed full with 12 bunkbeds in each 'room', so 24 girls and leaders all together. Want to see what that looks like? Here you are.

The beds were quite comfy and after a spray of Mortein just to be sure there were no fleas I was happy to plonk my stuff down and look around a bit. We had arrived at Appin at about 7.30pm and we were eventually all organised and settled and headed to the 'hall' to have the evening entertainment of skits, then supper, information and then finally bed. After others shouting for the lights to finally be put out I decided to try to sleep with earphones in with music playing to drown out the chatter. At 2am it was quiet, 6.30am start aaahhh and another lovely sunny day greated us once the shock of about 4 hours sleep had departed these old bones.

Saturday was full of camp certification stuff so learning how to light and put out fires, cooking on the fires, first aid, finding your way by the stars, learning about nature in your area. Here are some of the girls on their way and 'learning'.

After a quick lunch the girls were put into teams and were to do 'Challenge Valley'. Challenge valley was an adventure obstacle course and it was hardcore. I thought some of them would do it but I never thought ALL of them would make it through, doing all the obstacles, and having fun whilst doing it. I was cheering them on from the sidelines, I was not going to crawl through leach infested water. Here are a few pictures.

These girls that I have the blessing to spend time with and teach them are incredible, strong, spiritual young women. They are fun and funny and I had so much fun hanging out with them for the weekend. We spent Saturday afternoon playing funny games like 'I have never' and when I get a bit competative they think it is so hilarious. A standards evening and then a camp fire and obligatory sing a long finished up the night. It was really cold Sat night so sleep was hard to come by even though I was tired.

I had sent the girls out to play a joke on Brent, one of the male leaders that were there with us, they were going to toilet paper his tent but got scared when other people heard them coming and told them to go back to bed so they thought it would be funny to cover mine and Gell's car in toilet paper instead!

Sunday - another gorgeous day, started ridiculously early at 5.45am with a testimony meeting, then breakfast and then church. Showers over flowed, toilets clogged up and so come Sunday lunchtime I was ready to leave and head home to my clean, hot shower and warm comfortable bed, but what a fun weekend. I'm not saying it was perfect, because it wasn't, but the fun and pleasure it was to spend time with the girls and Gell and Becky (the other leaders from Baulkham Hills) outweighed any deficiencies. I laughed so much and I love to laugh. Funny, fun weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment