Thursday, August 25, 2011

So Thankful

This week poor little Sophie has been under the weather. She has had a head cold for what feels like months and she seems to be just about over it and then it comes back and we are back to square one with the runny eyes, runny nose, temperature and lots of snot. On Tuesday morning as I was trying to get us ready for swimming lessons (that she loves) she told me her ear hurt twice within about 10 mins. That was a red flag to me as she is never that specific, so off to the medical centre we went and in the meantime she went downhill really fast to the point where I had to carry her (she weighs 20kg @ 3! ) and she just laid on me.

I am so thankful that I live in a country where I can take my child to a medical centre to see a doctor when she is ill and not have to worry about whether I can afford to take her or not. I had to wait for a while but really is half an hour really such a big deal? I am sure that there are so many parents in this world of ours that would give so much to just have to wait for half an hour to see a doctor for free.

A very nice, very friendly doctor looked in Sophie's ear, told me it was cherry red and she did indeed have an ear infection. He gave me a prescription for antibiotics and I knew from previous experince with Amoxycillan with Olivia that it really really works and works fast.

I am thankful that I live in a world where incredible, inquisitive, brilliant people such as Alexander Fleming back in the 1920's discovered a substance that killed other germs, penicillin. How thankful I am that I can just spend $17 on a little bottle of medicine and within 2 days a very sad, poorly little girl is back to her normal rambunctious self and desperate to go to pre-school.

I know that so many people in this incredible world that we live in don't have these opportunities and benefits, and this week, I am so thankful for so many things that I know I take for granted so often, but I wanted to say out loud today, "I am so grateful for the freedoms and advantages that this land down under offers my family and I."


No comments:

Post a Comment